PC switches itself off

Got a computer problem? Post it here....somebody may have the answer!!
jjuli2

PC switches itself off

Post by jjuli2 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:35 pm

I'll be in the middle of something and my laptop just switches itself off. It's getting more regular now, so does anyone know why it's doing it and how I can fix it?
Thanks

patootie

Post by patootie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Ok ... I am not an expert ... but I do know laptops can get problems with overheating* ??

Do the fans sound noisier than when you first got it ??

Can you feel air going into the cooling vents ???

Try sticking a vacuum cleaner hose on the air intake vents and try to suck out any blockage ... with the laptop unplugged of course :wink:

Now can you feel more air going into the cooling vents ???

If this seems to partially solved the problem you need to do a more complete clean up ... if there isn't any instructions about this in the handbook then there are web sites online that tell you how to do this .. or you can get it done professionally .. at a price ... :wink:

Sorry .. don't really know much more about laptops ... other than the AC adaptor socket can sometimes get seating problems that cause the laptop to go onto battery power ... then of course it switches off when the battery runs out of power ... :roll:

But I'd suggest you do a good clean up .. then review the problem .. :wink:

*over heating may also happen when you use the laptop for long periods or do a lot of things that make the CPU power unit work hard .. this unit can pump out a lot of heat and a laptop can quickly get up to overheating levels .. and most laptops have an auto switch off function when a certain level of heat is reached :wink: