Downloading email problem

Got a computer problem? Post it here....somebody may have the answer!!
kagsyturner
Site Admin

Downloading email problem

Post by kagsyturner » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm

I have been having problems downloading from outlook express, it now comes up with my password box and when I press ok it comes up with this message?

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Karen's Mail', Server: 'pop.wanadoo.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: ' Disconnect because authentication to back server is too long', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

Anyone any ideas please? :oops: :( :?
DO YOU NEED A WII??Then go for one here!!!

jjuli2

Post by jjuli2 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:28 pm

I get that sometimes but it usually goes back to normal just by rebooting.

Getting used to my laptop behaving strangely now. :roll:

BobMason

Post by BobMason » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Wellllllllllllllllllllllll

The main problem is that Wanadoo became Orange and your email server (pop3 or smtp) may just be yesterdays technology. Tiscali were good at doing this as they absorbed smaller ISPs and then making everyone change their settings to Tiscalis keep their email working with their old ISPs address.

Try checking on the Orange help pages to see if they require old wanadoo customers to make any changes to their email settings.

A longer term solution is to buy your own domain and then point any old email addresses you may have to your new mail box. It isn't expensive (My domain costs £4 a year) and means your email address never changes no matter what your ISP may do. My domain is omega-cottage.co.uk and it has meant my email address hasn't changed although my ISP has changed three times.

This isn't the place for a tutorial on setting up a domain but I will write one if anyone wants me to and post it on my website.
When it comes to computers, I believe there is no such thing as a SILLY QUESTION :D

kagsyturner
Site Admin

Post by kagsyturner » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Many thanks as ever, Bob, :D will have a look and I would definitely be interested in reading your tutorial :D
DO YOU NEED A WII??Then go for one here!!!

jjuli2

Post by jjuli2 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:06 am

That's interesting Bob, didn't know you could do that. I've just been trying to change things over from one email to another but it's not easy. Some sites are saying my wanadoo email isn't valid anymore as well. It would be good to be able to still get the emails and change ISPs, that's the main reason I haven't left Orange. I can get free internet with Sky, so that would be good if I could at last get rid of Orange.