One for Bob maybe? Pop unders

Got a computer problem? Post it here....somebody may have the answer!!
Chele2002

One for Bob maybe? Pop unders

Post by Chele2002 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:55 pm

For a while we keep hearing a little pop in the background, like you get with a pop up :roll:

It happens quiet frequently, its ok if the speakers are off I don't hear it.

My bro in-law has said it is a pop under, any ideas on how to find and remove what ever is causing it?

Many thanks for any help, it is much appreciated :D :thumb:

BobMason

Post by BobMason » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:27 pm

This could be one of two things if you are using Windows XP.

The first is a popup or popunder. To find out use Alt+tab to find out what windows are open. If a pop of either sort has opened, you will find a new browser window. To stop either in Internet Express (v 6 or later) go to Tools > Popup Blocker and turn it on. My experiance is that it is mostly effective and will stop most of those annoying adverts. (sorry folks - v5 and earlier doesn't have this feature but using Windows or Microsoft upgrade will fix that for you free)

The second reason for the sound is why many folk turn down or off their speakers. By default many sites (especially Microsoft ones) make a sound everytime a new elemet opens in a web page. The best example I know that most people will experience is on the Microsft Update Page (Not Windows update - it's big brother that updates all Microsoft progems including Office http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... x?ln=en-us). On the home page, as each element of the screen opens there is a click or pop. If you have a fast internet conection and Microsoft aren't too busy it can sound like making popcorn. It is harmless but to get rid of it, just turn your speakers down a bit.
When it comes to computers, I believe there is no such thing as a SILLY QUESTION :D

Chele2002

Post by Chele2002 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Many thanks Bob :thumb: I will try all you have suggested and let you know how I get on :D

P.S We are using XP and IE 6 because hubs doesn't like the newer versions of Internet explorer :wink: