lost emails

Got a computer problem? Post it here....somebody may have the answer!!
dawn1

lost emails

Post by dawn1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:45 pm

help , my computer just crashed and when i restarted it all my emails have gone , any way i can get them back ????

i tried a system restore , i use outlook express
MY FAIRY HAS RETURNED TO SPRINKLE LUCKY MAGIC WINNING DUST ON YOU ALL

haxel

Post by haxel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Sorry I can't help but that happened to me about a week ago - I wonder is there a virus about!

wiganone

Post by wiganone » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:28 pm

:( Do you think Jackie's hubby Bob's site will help? :hugs: Hope you get it sorted :doh:
Denise x

haxel

Post by haxel » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:44 pm

Think I've found a possib le answer - if computer crashed during compacting deleted e-mails then folders are deleted - see http://email.about.com/od/outlookexpres ... act_oe.htm

Apparently we can get them back by:

"Even if you had not yet installed the patch, message recovery could be easy:

Exit Outlook Express.
Look in your Windows Recycle Bin for a .dbx file corresponding to the folder from which mail is missing.
Restore the .dbx file.
Start Outlook Express.
To recover mail from an already corrupted message store, use one of the Outlook Express recovery tools, maybe ScanDBX."

I'll try that tomorrow!

dawn1

Post by dawn1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:17 pm

thanks for the replies :D

still not fixed the problem :(

ScanDBX costs $37.99 :(

a trial version of something similar OE mail recovery found all the missing emails , but again wont let me retrieve them untill i pay :evil:

will go and look on bobs site
MY FAIRY HAS RETURNED TO SPRINKLE LUCKY MAGIC WINNING DUST ON YOU ALL

BobMason

Lost Emails

Post by BobMason » Wed May 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Bob Here

Haxel is right, If you open the recycle bin when something like this happens you can SOMETIMES find the missing *.dbx files in there and it is a simple matter to highlight them, click on restore and they are back again.

Another way to find them is to run a search on *.dbx and then copy the results to a new folder. You then import them back into Outlook Express using File > Import > Messages and point it to OE6 Store Directory

In truth there are many different ways to do this and solve the missing email problem, it depends just wat has happened to them in the first place. The bottom line is that there is no substitute for backing up the files. It is possible to set any windows computer to do that automatically using scheduled tasks (Jackie's computer does that with her comping files without which she would be lost). How to do this is too long a tale for here. Once I have finished with the current round of hospital appointments I will write an article about backing up Outlook Express and add it to my website I will also write something about using scheduled tasks to back up important data.

Bob
When it comes to computers, I believe there is no such thing as a SILLY QUESTION :D